It was all joy when I got the update notification. HTC has more than kept its promise to make updates available to HTC One devices (M7 will not receive Android 6.0) three months after Google releases it. If you have an HTC One M8 and haven’t received the OTA update notification for Android 6.0 Marshmallow yet, then you can check the status of your update by going to http://www.htc.com/us/go/htc-software-updates/. But if you have a factory unlocked version or a developer edition, then you should have received the update by now. Quickly check for updates by going into Settings > About > Software updates > CHECK NOW. If you get the feedback that “There are no updates available for your phone,” then it’s obvious your device is not factory unlocked or a developer edition.
However, it doesn’t mean that the story ends here for everyone using an HTC One M8 which is not factory unlocked or a developer edition (and can’t seem to want to wait till a career is done certifying and testing the update). Mine was actually locked to a network but I managed to learn how to convert it into a developer edition for it to get recognized by HTC servers as one. I wrote about how to do that for a tech site (setuix.com) last year so I will direct you there for all the steps you will need. If you have a factory unlocked version or a developer edition, then all you need to do is to go to HTC to download the RUU which was available last year in December.
- Back up all user apps and data using Helium by following these STEPS
- Download and install HTC drivers on your windows device, then enable developer options and android debugging by following these STEPS
- Now unlock your bootloader by following these simple STEPS
- Then root your device (chill, you I am not going to recommend a custom ROM) by following these STEPS
- After rooting, S-Off your device by following these STEPS
- Then now, change the CID and MID of your HTC One M8 to either a factory unlocked version or a developer version by following these STEPS
- Now go HTC’s site and download the RUU for factory unlocked version or developer version HERE. This is the Android 6.0 RUU.
Enjoy the goodness Android M brings!